Here's my story. Many years ago, in the big woods of Wisconsin.....because it gets very cold in the winter.....we thought we would be really smart and outwit the cold by installing a nice pellet/corn Stove. That was our first mistake. It was a Country Flame. Run by computer...bad mistake. I can't tell you how many times Steve moaned over the fact that this machine didn't come with just a plain old on/ off switch instead of a touchy techy computer! Oh, Please! He called it The Country Blame. It worked exactly half the time.
It took me about an hour to convince Steve that this was a great idea. But he did it. I think the reason he did was because I threatened to do it myself and he was afraid of what it would look like. But he is a master at building and so he pleased me ever so much when he came inside with a very nice looking corner fireplace. I painted it Black. (forgot to take pictures) But the old corn stove went OUT. My reasoning was that its not heating our house anyway, I might as well have something there that I like.
I learned from Pinterest that you can make a faux fire with logs and Christmas lights. I wasn't completely satisfied with the look, So I searched some more and came up with another solution. A fireplace Screen to hide the fact that there really isn't a real fire in there. So here are the pics of the process.
HOW I MADE MY FIREPLACE SCREEN
This was a frame around a mirror that my dau-in-law just gave me recently. It was a perfect size. We sanded it and painted it using a satin Black Acrylic Paint.
The rest of the materials were an easy fix too. Twigs from the yard and cardboard leaves from a cereal box. I planned to spray paint the leaves and twigs but the shiny side of the cereal box didn't hold paint. So we (me and my kids) ended up painting them with a brush using the same paint that we used for the frame.
I cut 6 of the twigs to fit and hot glued them with a glue gun.
I hot glued the leaves on too.
I don't know what the plywood cost that Steve used to build the "fireplace" I am assuming they were scraps he had laying around from some other project. Every thing I used was free stuff I had available here at home. So my cost for this project was next to nothing. It looks good for now. Steve is planning to find a gas parlor stove to put here before next winter.